Friday 10 August 2012

Blueberry Coffee Cake


In this edition of the The Home Bakers  event hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, we are baking Lou Seibert Pappas’ Strawberry Coffee Cake from the book Coffee Cakes: Sweet and Savoury.

The first time I made the cake I used strawberries, which were rather sour and made the cake slightly tangy. The directions from the recipe was to layer the sliced strawberries on top of the cake batter followed by another layer of cake batter. When I did that,  the strawberries separated the two layers and the top of cake basically fell off. I think it’s a better idea to chop the strawberries and mix it into the batter.
Since I was not very happy with the results of that first cake, I made this recipe a second time round with blueberries and turned this into a Blueberry Coffee Cake. They were really delicious and I like this version better as the blueberries were sweeter than the strawberries.
I really enjoyed this cake which has a moist and flavourful texture from the addition of cream cheese. The walnuts sprinkled on top of the cake added crunch to the cake. I made half the recipe and this yielded 7 cupcakes. The ingredients for 7 cupcakes are listed below:
Strawberry/Blueberry Coffee Cake (7 cupcakes)
  •  114 g of cream cheese at room temperature
  • 57 g of unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup + a little more of granulated sugar
  • 1/8 cup of milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp or pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cup of blueberries or strawberries (I reduced to 1 cup as I find that 1 1/2 cup is too much)
  • 1/8 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of chopped almonds/walnuts
For the full recipe, please visit Alice from I Love. I Cook. I Bake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment