This turned out to be a very delicious loaf. It was moist, soft and fluffy from the yoghurt and creamed corn added to the dough. The original recipe used chillis which I decided against using in case it was too spicy for the kids. Instead, I added some fresh basil leaves which turned out to be a great choice as with each bite of the bread, I could taste a the lingering fragrance of the herb.
And what's corn bread without any corn bits? So I also added in some corn kernels for extra texture.
Corn and Cheddar Cheese Loaf (2 loaves)
From the recipe book Chef Wan's Sweet Treats
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast, or 30 g fresh yeast (I used 2/3 tbsp instant yeast)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup corn oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 5 cups + little extra all purpose flour (I used bread flour)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped (I replaced with about 20 pieces of basil leaves)
- 1 onion, diced and fried till golden brown (I replaced with 1/2 a cup of corn kernels)
- Crumble yeast into warm water and allow it to dissolve for 5 mins until frothy. Add cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking soda into the mixture.
- Add to the mixture eggs, yoghurt, oil, creamed corn, flour, chillies (basil), onion (corn) and knead till dough forms. Add a little more flour if necessary.
- Allow dough to rest for 10 mins then knead again.
- Place in bowl and set aside till double in bulk.
- Push down the dough, divide into two parts and place each portion in a baking pan. Allow the dough to double in bulk.
- Bake at 170 degrees C for about an hour or till golden brown.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Esther from Copycake Kitchen, at this post.
This is for Bake Your Own Bread by Roxanas Home Baking.
This is for Herbs on Saturday by Lavender and Lovage.