I was looking for a Thai recipe from among Bill Granger's collection and this Thai Chilli Roasted Chicken immediately caught my eye. I love to roast chicken with stuffing as the aroma of the stuffing somehow permeates the chicken flesh from inside out, making it extra delicious.
The filling is made of a chilli paste consisting of garlic, chilli, coriander and coconut which is stuffed inside the chicken as well as smeared all over the skin. When I was grinding the paste, I could already tell how delicious this dish was going to be.
The chicken goes along well with a sauce made of Thai green curry paste and coconut milk. My kids love the dish and they kept asking for more of the sauce.
Thai Chilli Roasted Chicken (Serves 4)
A Bill Granger Recipe found on Baby Mac
- 1.6kg chicken
- 1 bunch coriander
- 2 red chillis
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large limes (juiced) - I stuffed the juiced limes inside the chicken as well
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- In a food processor throw in the ingredients for the stuffing and chop finely
- Take half of the stuffing and place under the chicken skin and the other half inside the chicken cavity.
- Rub a little oil, salt & pepper over it’s back and into a 180 degree oven for 1.5 hrs or till its cooked through.
- Take the pan with all the juices in it, add in the curry paste scraping the cooked bits off the bottom.
- Add in the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and simmer away whilst carving
- Serve up and drown in that delicious gravy over it’s back.