I was looking for a cookie recipe made of cheese for Chinese New Year and chanced upon these Cheese Crackers.
These crackers are made of just four ingredients - shredded cheese, salt, flour and butter - and very easy to make. The recipe recommended you blend all the ingredients together in a food processor. But I simply let the butter and cheese out for about 30 mins then rubbed the ingredients together using my hands.
The trick to getting these really crispy is to roll them out as thin and possible and after you've cut them with a pizza cuter, lift them off the board with a spatula and place them onto the baking tray. These golden cheese crackers are so addictive - reminds me of those fish crackers I loved to buy when I was younger!
Recipe from Diva Can Cook
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or other types of cheese)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup flour
- course kosher salt for sprinkling, optional
- Add all ingredients, except kosher salt into a food processor.
- Process until a dough forms.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
- Remove dough from fridge and let it soften.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Roll the dough out on a smooth surface until it is about ⅛ inch thick (note: Roll it out as thinly as possible or the crackers will not be crispy)
- Use a pizza cutter or pastry wheel and make 1-inch squares.
- Sprinkle dough with kosher salt if desired.
- Use the end of a wooden screwer to make holes in the center of each square.
- Place the squares on a cookie sheet lined with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are barely golden.
- Let crackers sit in the pan for a minute before removing to a cooling rack. Crackers will crisp up more as they cool so be sure not to over bake.
- Store in an airtight container.
I am linking this post to the Bake Along event created by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, lena of Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids.