These traditional Peanut Cookies are a must have for Chinese New Year. Just like these Almond Cookies which I made last Chinese New Year, these top my list of favourite cookies for the festive period.
The best part is that its incredibly easy to make and doesn't require any equipment at all. All the mixing is done in a bowl and then shaped by hand.
These are so addictive because they literally dissolve in the mouth and the batch I made didn't make it to Chinese New Year. They were gone in two days!
Peanut Cookies (About 40 cookies)
Recipe adapted from here
- 360 g peanuts, fried/roasted and ground until fine
- 200 g castor sugar
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 160 ml of canola oil (use sparingly and use only enough to bind the mixture, start with about half and pour the rest in little by little till the mixture comes together into a ball without falling apart)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Handful of peanuts, fried/roasted, halved then cut into quarter when still hot.
- Egg white for the glazing finishing touch
- Preheat the oven at 200°C and lay out 2 baking sheets with greased baking paper or silicone mat.
- Grind the roasted peanuts till fine and put them in a large mixing bowl. The oil from the ground peanut will make them stick into lumps, use fingers to break them apart.
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar into the peanut mixture and mix them together until well combined.
- Drizzle half of the oil into the bowl, use hand and knead the mixture together.
- Pour the rest of the oil little by little while still kneading the mixture until all the sugar melted and you can roll the mixture up into a ball without sticking to the bowl or your fingers. Then test it with a small lump of the mixture and roll into a ball between your palms. If it doesn't crumble, then your mixture is ready. If not, add just bit more oil until you can roll them into a ball. You may not need to use all the quantity of oil specified.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture into your palm, and roll them into small balls. Place them on the baking sheets.
- Put a little quartered peanut on top of each ball, then glaze it with the egg white. Put in the oven for 17 mins or until golden brown.