Monday 28 May 2012

Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake


I recently joined The Home Bakers (THB) where the members will bake a chosen recipe every three weeks. When I came across this event, I thought it was a wonderful idea to be part of a group where we can share experiences and bake alongside each other. So I quickly wrote in to Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and was warmly welcomed by her into the group.

THB is now baking from ”Coffee Cakes” by Lou Seibert Pappas and the current bake is the Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake.
I was really excited about making this because I love anything blueberry and I thought that the recipe was rather healthy as it uses whole wheat flour, low fat yoghurt and nuts (Bizzy Bake is the host of this bake and the full recipe is on her blog).
Cakes made with whole wheat flour tend to be denser overall compared to normal white flour, but because I’m using wholemeal flour (Origins brand) that is almost as fine as white flour, it did not affect the texture of the cake.
As the blueberries and the streusel topping already make the cake quite sweet, so I decided to cut down on the sugar.  Instead of 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, I put in 3/4 cup of raw sugar.
I made this cake for a party and everyone commented how moist and delicious the cake was. The cake has a soft, crumbly texture which goes well with the crunchy streusel topping.  I love the way the two different textures contrast as you chew on the cake.
A cake this wonderful doesn’t stay around for very long!

No comments:

Post a Comment