I was quite excited about this cake because I love the chocolate-orange combination. The pretty polka dots on the top of the cake make it interesting and pretty. I used chocolate couverture which were nice and round which made it easy to achieve the nice pattern.
It is moist with fine golden crumbs and the it has a strong and lovely orange flavour - you can also taste bits of chocolate and raisins as you bite into it. There are some cakes I totally regret only baking half the recipe for and this is one of them.
I baked half the recipe in a loaf pan. Below is my ingredient list for half a recipe. Please go to Eileen of Hundred and Eighty Degrees for the full recipe.
- Half large orange, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (I used black raisins)
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate wafers or chocolate chip