I've always loved eating nachos at Mexican or American eateries - crispy tortilla chips, layered with tomatoes, beans, lots of melted cheese and topped with sour cream. It's highly addictive and almost impossible to stop eating once you get started.
I came across this delicious Baked Nachos recipe by Curtis Stone which is different from the normal Nachos, where tortilla chips are used - these chips are usually made from corn tortillas, which are cut into wedges and then fried.
In this recipe, flour tortillas (a type of thin flat bread made from finely ground wheat flour and used mainly for wraps) is torn and baked till crisp and used as "chips". I think this is definitely healthier than the other type of deep-fried tortilla chips since its baked. I used wholemeal flour tortillas in packs of five at the supermarket.
The crispy baked tortillas are then layered with beans, tomatoes, parsley and then baked till the cheese is all melted and gooey. It is then served with with sour cream or yoghurt.
There is just one word to describe this dish, which is perfect as a snack or a starter for parties: heavenly!
Baked Nachos (Serves 4)
Recipe by Curtis Stone on Oprah.com
- 8 tortillas wraps , torn into large pieces (sold in packs in supermarket)
- 8 ounces (226 g) cooked kidney beans
- 2 large tomatoes , seeds removed and cut into a small dice (reserve some for garnish)
- 6 ounces mozzarella , torn into small pieces
- 6 ounces grated Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro , chopped rough (reserve some for garnish)
- Low-fat sour cream or low-fat yogurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange the torn pieces of tortilla on a baking sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until the tortillas are crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- On an oven-safe serving tray or round baking sheet, lay a layer of tortilla crisps on the bottom. Layer with the beans, tomatoes, cheeses and cilantro. Add another layer of tortilla, and repeat process until all ingredients are used.
- Once the nachos are arranged, bake in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from oven and serve with sour cream or yogurt drizzled over the top, and garnish with reserved cilantro and diced tomato.