Tuesday 27 August 2013

Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins

Who can resist double chocolate muffins? Certainly not me and I jumped right into making these after seeing this Nigella recipe on Food Network. The muffins turned out a little dry and rather bland - which was disappointing. It was only then I read the reviews and there was similar feedback about the texture and taste. 


I made another of batch of these muffins and this time, followed the recommendations and added an extra spoon of yoghurt and coco powder as well as a little salt. I also lowered the baking temperature and baked for a shorter time. These small changes made all the difference. 



The second batch was moist and chocolate-y and my kids agree  - they were gone in no time at all!



Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins (12 muffins)
Recipe by Nigella on Food Network 

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup superfine sugar
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp yoghurt (my own addition)
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt (my own addition)
Method
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) - I baked at 180 degrees C
  • Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl. 
  • Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug. 
  • Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. 
  • Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 20 minutes (I baked for 18 minutes) or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.
This is for Cook Like A Star hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Anuja from Simple Baking

I am submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Egg" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids,my little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out

26 comments:

  1. Mich, it is good that you tweaked the recipe second time round. I love chocolaty muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mich
    These chocolate chips muffin with the added yogurt in, I believe it give the texture more moist and softer. No wonder it was gone in no time; children sure love this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mich, glad that your second batch worked for you! Now please hand me some of the muffins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so it was the fans who came out with a better recipe? I also want one of these muffins from your 2nd batch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I dont think I can resist these muffins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever of you to modify the recipe and make it delicious! I prefer cupcakes to muffins as I find muffins on the dry side and dense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mich,
    It is so nice that your tweaked changes makes delightful muffins. The texture does look moist and soft! Great for snacking anytime of the day!
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ya, this muffin is so tempting and no one can resist !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mich, very nice muffin, so chocolatey. Love to have 2 pieces, got coffee or not? :)

    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks moist indeed! yes, yoghurt does make a big difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com27 August 2013 at 22:58

    The muffins look so moist and tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look very delicious with the combination of chocolate chips !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very soft and light in texture..and they are loaded with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mich,

    I have also bookmark this recipe too but running out of time to bake more Nigella's food...

    Caught your tip! Will remember to add extra yogurt if I'm baking these muffins...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. aaah Mich I love these muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mich,
    These are those' just can't resist' type of yummy double choco chip muffins!!
    Love it!! Thanks for sharing the yummies to LTU :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am reaching out to grab one of these. Is it really bad that I want it for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must salute you!
    I've made these muffins before and as you said - they turned out a bit dry. But I didn't bother to read the reviews. Good for you that you did and remade them.
    I'm writing your changes and I'll bake them again.
    Thanks Mich!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so yummy - your changes definitely paid off. They look so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I would have eaten breakfast before I read this post as now I am craving chocolate chip muffins and I don't have in chocolate chips anywhere in the house. I bet your whole house smells wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love chocolate chip muffins! Your muffin tins are so cute too! Thank you for sharing Mich. These are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great that you had success with the second batch, sometimes it really helps to read the "fans" and other readers comments. :) Looks wonderfully moist.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful chocolate chip muffins!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you've forgotten to add some espresso powder lol These muffins look moist and the double chocolates sure adds a good layer of yumminess ! Delicious bakes , Mich ;)

    ReplyDelete