Thursday 5 September 2013

Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls

These Cinnamon Rolls could possibly be the Pioneer Woman's most famous recipe? Possibly and I think one of her very best. 


The best thing about these addictive Cinnamon Rolls is that its a no knead recipe - you don't get to work out your biceps in order to get the bread dough together.  Yet, it produces a soft, pillow-y bread bursting with the flavours of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. 


I would highly advise that you keep this dough overnight in the refrigerator before rolling and shaping because of the humid and hot weather here which makes it difficult to work with if its not chilled. I've tried to work on it without chilling and I could barely get it to hold its shape. 

Of all the recipes I've tried, this goes to the top of the list as a must try!


Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls (15 rolls)
Adapted from Pig Pig's Corner

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
  • 2 2/3 cups plain flour (+ 1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 100 g unsalted butter - melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • Cinnamon powder
  • Sultanas (optional)
Frosting (optional): I mixed 3 tbsp of maple syrup with about 1/2 cup of icing sugar and drizzled over the rolls. You can add more syrup or icing sugar depending on the consistency you like. 

Directions:
  • Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan.
  • Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool for about 30 mins.
  • When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in dry yeast. Let this sit for a min.
  • Add 2 2/3 cups of flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.
  • Add 1/3 cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. (At this point the dough will be quite sticky, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it – overnight or even a day or two. This will give you a firmer dough. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just punch it down).
  • When ready to prepare rolls: Sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Form a rough rectangle with the dough. Then roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape. Drizzle melted butter over the dough. Now sprinkle sugar over the butter followed by a generous sprinkling of cinnamon powder and sultanas.
  • Now, starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go. Next, pinch the seam of the roll to seal it.
  • Cut the roll to approximately 1 inch thick and lay them in a greased baking tray. Leave a little space in between the rolls for them to rise.
  • Let the rolls rise for 20 to 30 mins or until they look bloated (I left it to rise for about 1 hr), then bake at a 180 pre-heated oven until light golden brown, about 20-25 mins.

This is for Cook Like A Star hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Mich of Piece of Cake


32 comments:

  1. decided to skip tea but looking at this made me walk to the kitchen looking for bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to drool over your cinnamon rolls:D Hmm...can imagine how good your kitchen smelt when these were being baked! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These rolls would be perfect for my breakfast or tea break. It taste great if some raisins were added in too.....as I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling; and like it that you made it non-caloric!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mich, I got my eye on this recipe too. Looks like it's a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mich, these cinnamon rolls look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely rolls! It looks so good! I can almost smell the cinnamon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cinnamon rolls looks so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cinnamon rolls make the whole house full of cinnamon's fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't recall how long that I haven't had cinnamon rolls now. Yours look very soft, like the 2nd photo the most as I can see the texture clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com5 September 2013 at 21:39

    Mich, so tempting cinnamon rolls. May I have one plssss.....?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mich, love cinnamon rolls. Yours look perfect.... But I need 2 please. :)

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mich, your cinnamon rolls looks so soft! just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cinnamon rolls look yummy. I like the fact that you can make the dough ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my, i can't wait to make these - love the fact that it is a no knead dough :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delicious cinnamon rolls! I always want to make this at home as I don't like buying super sugary ones from stores for my kids. I'm so inspired by your cinnamon rolls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I simply love these cinnamon rolls to bits, I would devour them in a second if not faster :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know this famous recipe, hopefully I can try out one day . Thanks for sharing the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mich, this is yummy! I would love to try my hand at cinnamon rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great little recipe Mich! I want to make some homemade cinnamon rolls as they so delicious. I bet your whole house smelled fantastic while they were baking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look so perfect, could just take a bite out of that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of the best recipe to keep. I like it very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mich, of all her recipes, I too love her cinnamon rolls!! They look absolutely delectable and yours look just like hers. I liked the way yours don't look over the top with frosting because the best way to enjoy cinnamon rolls are to eat it as it is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely cinnamon rolls, must have filled you house with its lovely aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So happy to stumble upon your lovely cinnamon roll

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Mich,

    You are right that this is one of Ree's best recipe as I remember seeing many great reviews about this recipe before. No kneading required... these cinnamon rolls look amazingly good!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cinnamon Rolls, oh my! I must check and see if there is a National Cinnamon Roll Day. If not, there certainly should be. Your Cinnamon Rolls look heavenly, Mich! I wish I could just wrap them up and send them to my daughter. She doesn't have much of an appetite these days but I bet she wouldn't be able to resist such deliciousness!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look delicious. You can't beat a good cinnamon roll. Especially with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. I hope you have a wonderful start to your week. Thank you for brightening mine!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Mich, These cinnamon rolls looks good & a perfect treat ! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG.. OMG. If there is ever a day when I can get over my yeast-phobia, I shall make this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. they look really soft! Guess this also makes a good bread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing. I will try to do it.

    ReplyDelete