After making Kue Lapis Surabaya, there were 30 egg whites sitting in my refrigerator. I had to use them up fast and came across this steamed cake recipe which uses 450 ml of egg whites.
When the cake first came out of the steamer, I wasn't too impressed with the texture as I thought it was rather dense. However, after leaving it overnight, the texture became more fluffy and reminded me of the traditional steamed egg cake (鸡蛋糕).
My kids liked it very much (maybe because of the chocolate layers) and finished the cake in a couple of days, fighting over the last piece!
Steamed Egg White Zebra Cake (8 inch)
Recipe from My Home Diary in Turkey
- 450 ml egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp powdered vanilla
- 1.5 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used 1.5 tbsp chocolate paste)
- 3/4 cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- Heat water in your steamed pan. Grease a 8" cake mold with butter. Set aside
- Sift and mix flour and baking powder. Set aside
- Whisk egg white, mix in sugar bit by bit while still whipped until fluffy, add the salt. Mix in lemon juice and continue beating until stiff and thick.
- Fold in flour mixture, fold until blended . mix in olive oil, folding until well blended. Take half the dough and mix with cocoa powder elsewhere.
- Pour batter into molds,alternating between white and brown batter to make "zebra" form a pattern. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.